Friday, May 31, 2013

First Week of College

The first 4 days of my stay in the university was an absolute blur. The really good kind. I knew what was coming. I was already prepared to be the "new kid" for the first time in 10 years. I was no longer in the comfort of my friends who I've been with for years, my school was no longer just a small scale one that wasn't even a kilometer away from my house. 

As much as I love the familiar, there's something about a whole new everyday life that excites me too.

I was excited to make a whole new set of friends, make new memories and take on new opportunities. I'm not usually one to welcome changes with open arms, but I'm trying to keep my perspective as positive as possible. And with the help of the fact that my parents are paying a shitload of money with their blood and sweat just so I can study in this prestigious school, it makes me even more determined to make my stay here as fruitful as possible.

The first few days were tricky, awkward, half in and half out. You never really know if you're supposed to make the first move or wait until they introduce themselves to you. But being the really loud person I am back in high school, I couldn't STAND awkward silences. 

I couldn't just sit there in a room full of people without opening my mouth every once in a while to say something. It just makes me fidgety and frustrated because I can't last a day without having to laugh at something with someone.

So I realized that if I wanted to make friends, I'd have to do my part too. And I did. And I don't at all regret it. I may come off really shy at first because it's really just my attempt to spare you my incredibly weird side. I'm pretty much just stalling until we get close enough until it's too late for you to escape my weird self. Haha. Not really... yeah, really.

Everyone was nice and jolly and enthusiastic. Which was reassuring because if there's one thing I hate about myself, it's feeling like I'm annoying someone. I didn't want to come off as the "clingy" friend nor the one who looks like they're too cool to socialize either. So everything was really about balancing them in a way.

The second day was when the fun started. The professor for our first course didn't show up within the first 30 minutes so we had our very first free cut. Yep, you heard me. We popped our free cut cherries only on the second day. Haha. It was scary at first because it wasn't something we were used to. In the end, we had a pretty fun first free cut. We stayed at the "American Room" in the 13th floor of Henry Sy.

Buildings don't usually have 13th floors which sort of creeped me out, but what the hell.

DAY 2! From left to right: Clarice, yours truly, Earl, Gabby, Carl and Sofia (taken from Aaron's phone)

Day 3! With Dianne, Aaron, Louise, Sofia and Carl (Taken from Aaron's phone)
We took a bunch of other photos, but I couldn't retrieve them. Haha. Blockmates didn't upload! [Weeps violently]. Nevertheless, they're really cool and funny people. It's never boring with them. 

I really wanna have the chance to develop a friendship with each of my 47 blockmates. It's quite unlikely, but I want to try to at least have conversations with them every now and then. Getting to know people is the best part for me, because you learn things from them and hear stories you've probably never heard of before. And it's a challenge to get to know someone, but there's definitely no rush.

As much as I want to elaborate further on my first week of college, my neighbors are playing really shitty music. Loudly. And it makes me wanna barge in there and shove them inside their stereo to see how they like it. It's not even the good kind of music! 

Long story short, I think I'm gonna have loads of fun. And this is definitely just the beginning!





No comments:

Post a Comment