Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Taking on College: The First Chapter

Okay, the title isn't as dramatic as I intended it to be, I just wanted to point out that there's only a couple of days left before I face my College blockmates, a.k.a. the people I'll spending the next 4 years with, for the first time. And I have to make an impression. The good kind. 

A couple of days ago, on May 9th to be exact, I have officially enrolled in De La Salle University Manila for the first term in my first year. I will be taking up AB Communication Arts and I couldn't be happier. I've always wanted to be involved with Media, be it in writing, film-making or broadcasting. 

I'm beyond excited. And I couldn't help but feel anxious and scared. I would be stepping in a whole new world where nothing is as it used to be. It's pretty much like hitting the "reset" button. New friends, new classes, new school, new opportunities.

But being a hardcore realist, I couldn't stop myself from weighing both the positive and negative outcomes. And that is exactly what I'm planning to change. 

I enrolled by myself in the Henry Sy building and it wasn't at all complicated, they have all the instructions and steps laid out in front of you. You could also just ask the guards any time if you have any questions. I received my enrollment kit in Step 3 which looked like this: (Minus the bag)






I think it's obligatory for your College ID photo to look as horrifying as possible.

My ID literally only took 5-10 seconds of photographing. It was mandatory to have your hair down your back and I literally just threw my hair over my shoulders without even bothering to smooth it down. And don't get me started on my smile. You can actually feel the awkward.

I'm just sorry I'm gonna be stuck with this photo for the rest of my stay in La Salle. Talk about embarrassing.

I also got my student handbook which came along with the enrollment kit. With all the rules and regulations of a huge university, it was necessary that I get myself familiarized with at least the majority of them.

In addition to my student handbook, I finally got to see my schedule! It's really interesting because all of the subjects are new to me. I like that my classes start at 8 a.m. to give me enough time in the morning to prepare and get on the bus. My Tuesdays are going to be the really tricky ones since my last class ends at 5:30 which is usually the time where buses are a little too cozy with all the people stuffed in it.

My Fridays are off which is a good thing because it'd be like a long weekend for me for the rest of the school year. But I'm not planning on wasting it at home doing nothing when I can join different organizations and devote my free times there. I'd both be expanding my social life and my knowledge. It's a win-win situation!

But most of all, I am loving my Thursdays. Not only do I get to go home early, but the next day is my free time.

And since I basically have 2 hours of lunch everyday, I plan on meeting up with high school friends every now and then especially with Andrea and Shad. Shad happens to be my schoolmate and Andrea happens to study a couple of blocks away.


And right after I enrolled, my mom and I decided to go to The Store to get shirts for my everyday use as well as for LPEP.

Most of the shirts are a tad pricey, but it's definitely worth it because not only do I like the quality of the tees, but also its designs. I bought 3 shirts: a white one, a green one and a baseball tee that is both white and green. I'll be wearing the green one for my LPEP and it's definitely my favorite. I like the edge of the shirt because it's cut really differently and the sleeves can be buttoned up in case it gets really hot.




I even made a friend in the store. Her name's Karen and we both happened to be in the same college which was Liberal Arts. She'll be majoring in History and I found out that she's a huge fan of classics and refuses to read YA novels. I feel like she's missing out on the fun of reading YA's, but she said she likes British shows, which I do too.

After going our separate ways, my mom and I decided to go around the campus while waiting for my sister to finish her LAMB job with that day's LPEP.

That's basically my May 9th, and I told you it wasn't as dramatic as I intended it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment