Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Flower Child

Recently, the famous annual music and arts festival in California which is called Coachella, has successfully finished two phenomenal weekends. It was the best way to welcome the spring season as well as new fashion trends. There were a lot of celebrity sightings and I was really hooked on looking at Coachella photos for fashion ideas.

Cut-off shorts, crop tops, dip-dyed shirts -- it was all really eye-catching. But the one thing I really liked the most was the abundance of flowery patterns, designs and basically just flowers in general. 

A lot of celebrities were seen sporting different styles and combinations of flower crowns. Not only did I see it in Coachella, but also fashion sites like Lookbook. I was really into the way it can be paired with almost any outfit. It can either top chic-grunge outfits which I absolutely adore.

So I did some research as to what I'll need and how to make my own, the various combinations of the colors and kinds of flowers and what not. It took me a whole month before I could find the materials because there aren't really much art stores here that is accessible to me.

Either way, I did find the materials and I couldn't wait to get started. 


These are some nice kinds of flowers I've found and they come in small bundles. A bundle approximately costs 30 php, but of course it depends on the number and the size of the flowers. I also bought floral wires and floral tape. These are the basic materials you're going to need.

The floral wire I bought was really thin, and it wasn't the kind I was looking for but knowing I wouldn't find better alternatives, I went for it anyway. It wasn't enough to use just one wire so I decided to use the whole pack, twist them together and secure them with floral wire by wrapping it tightly around.

I measured the wire around my head and tried it on to see if it sits securely on my head. I then twisted the ends together and securing them again with floral tape. It's important to wrap it tightly so the wires won't poke your scalp when you're wearing it.

This is where the real fun starts! Come up with different ways of sequencing the flowers and how you want them to blend together. I tried various combinations on the table first before putting them on the actual crown to keep from damaging the stems. 

If you're happy with what your combination's going to be, start wrapping each flower carefully around the crown. Make sure to wrap the end tightly so it wouldn't stick to your scalp when it's sitting on your head. If you want extra security, wrap the edges with floral tape.

And this is what I came up with!


























I love the dominant flowers -- the peachy, orangey ones and the white roses. Their colors really work together and remind me of summer and spring. I also added in filler flowers which are smaller red and white roses. There are also small gold flowers here and there and I think they all compliment each other.

It sort of sucks though that I wasn't able to find a brown floral wire because it would've added a touch of authenticity to the crown and it'd be much cuter sitting on my dark hair. But either way, I'm still happy with how it turned out.


























And this is how it sits on my head!

I haven't had the chance to wear it out in public yet because I usually go out only to run errands. But I can't wait to wear it for the remaining days of Summer! It's the perfect way to get in touch with my feminine side without really having to be such a girly girl. Haha.

This was a good way to kill time and sort of let your flower-arranging skills shine. I'm glad our Home Economics teacher actually taught us flower arranging. I knew I was going to get to apply it someday somehow! 

Happy remaining-days-of-summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment